Self-management exercises to promote blood & lymphatic circulation
These basic motions of arms and legs (muscle pumping exercises) are usful in the lympoedema therapy, especially combined with external limb compression. But they are also supporting vascular flow in healthy individuals - so do take some time every day and try to move for a few minutes with these easy exercises.
1. March in place (1–2 minutes).
2. Place your hands on your chest. Take a deep breath in; now let it out (10–20 times). Then place your hands on your stomach. Take a deep breath in; now let it out (10–20 times).
3. Place your hands on your stomach. Take a deep breath in; now let it out (10–20 times).
1. Move your shoulders up and down (10–20 times).
2. Move your shoulders and arms backwards and forwards (10–20 times).
3. Clench your fists. Move your fists up to your face and shrug your shoulders (5–10 seconds, 3 times).
4. Clench your fists and stretch out your arms. Spread out your fingers. Bend your wrists down and then stretch them back up (10–20 times).
5. Touch your shoulder with one arm while stretching out the other arm. Switch sides (10–20 times).
6. Stretch out your arm sideways and touch the opposite shoulder. Switch sides (10–20 times).